Old 11-09-2009, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Feranija Feranija is offline

Default Wild grape question

George Shirley wrote:
PhoenixWench wrote:
I live in the Catskills, zone 5, and there were several wild grape
vines on the property when I moved in. Up till now I have simply
clipped them back and used the vines for decorative wreaths, because
the grapes are horrendously tart.

What I was wondering is whether it is possible, by feeding and
nurture, to make them produce more palatable fruit? I also have 6
apple trees which had been untended so long they were nearly crabbed.
Six years of feeding and care have brought them back to nearly perfect
producers (I am strictly organic and don't mind a little discoloration
on my apples - they taste great!).

I realize the cases are different - the apple trees always had the
capability of producing large luscious fruit with proper care. I don't
particularly *need* the grapes or I would buy a few cultivated vines,
I'm just curious. Can wild grapes be persuaded to do the same, or
should I forget it and just keep harvesting the vines for crafts?

Thanks,
Sylvia

Just a guess but I'm thinking your vines will never get any better. You
could use the grapes for making jelly though.

Or vinegar. Maybe first try to make some wine, and if still tart,
leave it open for fermenting into vinegar. I would do it for fun.