Old 11-09-2009, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Wild grape question

PhoenixWench wrote:
I live in the Catskills, zone 5, and there were several wild grape vines
on the property when I moved in. Up till now I have simply clipped them
back and used the vines for decorative wreaths, because the grapes are
horrendously tart.

What I was wondering is whether it is possible, by feeding and nurture,
to make them produce more palatable fruit? I also have 6 apple trees
which had been untended so long they were nearly crabbed. Six years of
feeding and care have brought them back to nearly perfect producers (I
am strictly organic and don't mind a little discoloration on my apples -
they taste great!).

I realize the cases are different - the apple trees always had the
capability of producing large luscious fruit with proper care. I don't
particularly *need* the grapes or I would buy a few cultivated vines,
I'm just curious. Can wild grapes be persuaded to do the same, or should
I forget it and just keep harvesting the vines for crafts?

Thanks,
Sylvia

With proper pruning and feeding, you can probably get a much bigger
crop... of sour grapes. :-) That's not totally a bad thing because tart
grapes make better jelly than sweet ones.

Bob