Old 12-09-2009, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Herbs doing too well

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 13:11:09 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

How do I prune or deadhead? Herbs

I planted sage, thyme, parsley, basil, mint, oregano.

And hardly ever use them!! By the time I remember, I'm
through with the tomato sandwich, e.g.

How much can I, should I, prune to stop these herbs
from roaring away?

I don't want them to go to seed, so will offer some to
neighbors, but it's hard to coordinate schedules.

Your advice appreciated.

Hypatia

You can prune most of these at anytime, although if looking well I'd
leave them alone. Of those mentioned I only prune the mint. Basil
dies at first frost, parsely bolts to seed the second year. Maybe you
need to plant herbs closer to the kitchen or pots on the patio/deck so
you use them more.