Old 12-09-2009, 06:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Herbs doing too well

On 9/11/2009 7:36 PM, Balvenieman wrote:
"David E. Ross" wrote:

In the ground, sweet bay can become a large shrub or a small tree. With
it growing in a flower pot, I constantly trim it so that it does not
outgrow the ability of its confined roots to keep it alive. I try to
remove old growth and keep new shoots. In a nearby public garden, three
sweet bay growing in the ground are sheared into formal cylinders.

Is this Laurus nobilis, AKA "Bay Laurel", the culinary "bay leaf"?
I ask because here in FL, AWA other Gulf coast states, we have a
wetlands dweller commonly known as "sweet bay" that is a variety of
Magnolia. I have a container-grown L. nobilis specimen that is just
ending its first full season in this locale, USDA zone 9b and humid. I
overwintered it indoors last year because, well, it was just a baby, you
know; do you know whether that's necessary? What are the lowest temps to
which yours are exposed?

Yes, I meant Laurus nobilis. It should be hardy to 28F.

Your sweet bay magnolia is Magnolia virginiana (aka M. glauca).

This is why plants sold in inter-state commerce are supposed to be
labeled with their botanical names.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean