Old 12-09-2009, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Question on how to use cotton

Suzanne D. wrote:
Cotton isn't really "edible," but the folks here are so knowledgeable
that I figured I'd post the question here anyway.

I have a single cotton plant that is starting to produce fluffy white
cotton. I planted it as an experiment (it was the only one of ten seeds
that made it), and I'd like to use the cotton if possible. The plant
currently has about 30-40 unopened bolls on it, and many new flowers
(and may I just interject that I don't think any plant flower is quite
as attractive as the cotton flower?). I have looked online for ways for
a non-farmer to harvest, clean, and make cotton ready for use, but I
can't seem to find anything. It's as if hobbyists are just expected to
grow it and then do nothing else.

Does anyone know, or have links to websites that could tell me what to
do with the cotton once it is picked? All I can think of is to use it
to stuff toys, but surely there are some craft uses out there that I am
not finding. Is there an easy way to make it into fibers or threads?
Thanks.
--S.

You will probably have a problem removing the seeds from the cotton
fiber. You would, at the least, require a set of cotton "combs". After
that you would have to spin the thread, which can be done by hand but is
laborious, then to weave the thread into fabric, which is also difficult
if you're not an experienced weaver. All of that being said, I would
just grow them as an ornamental plant and get rid of the bolls or find
someone who is experienced that could use them. YMMV