Old 12-09-2009, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
PhoenixWench PhoenixWench is offline

Default Wild grape question

wrote:
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 12:42:00 -0400, PhoenixWench
wrote:

I live in the Catskills, zone 5, and there were several wild grape vines
on the property when I moved in. Up till now I have simply clipped them
back and used the vines for decorative wreaths, because the grapes are
horrendously tart.

What I was wondering is whether it is possible, by feeding and nurture,
to make them produce more palatable fruit? I also have 6 apple trees
which had been untended so long they were nearly crabbed. Six years of
feeding and care have brought them back to nearly perfect producers (I
am strictly organic and don't mind a little discoloration on my apples -
they taste great!).

I realize the cases are different - the apple trees always had the
capability of producing large luscious fruit with proper care. I don't
particularly *need* the grapes or I would buy a few cultivated vines,
I'm just curious. Can wild grapes be persuaded to do the same, or should
I forget it and just keep harvesting the vines for crafts?

Thanks,
Sylvia

Hi Sylvia,

Some areas of our property are overrun with wild grape vines. The more
you try to cut them back, the more they seem to grow. So, we have
tried reaping some benefit from them. We've tried using the fruit for
jelly and, it does make very nice jelly. I've also used the dried
vines for smoking meat. Gerry has used them for making wreaths but,
she hasn't been doing much in the crafts area for a few years.
However, the jelly is a now secondary benefit for us. We really enjoy
Dolmades and the wild grape leaves work wonderfully. We are also
organic so there's no problem with using the leaves. Simply harvest
them in late Spring or early Summer. You can use them right away and
also preserve them for use throughout the year.
If you're interested in this type of thing, I just did a quick search
on Google and came up with this:
http://tinyurl.com/mpxvre
Oh, I almost forgot your question. If you go ahead with your effort to
improve them, I think the absolute best you can expect is perhaps
slightly bigger fruit but, I'm willing to bet it'll be just as tart.
BTW, do you know how to tell when the wild grapes are ripe?
It's when the bird droppings on the hood and windshield of your
vehicle stain it dark purple ;-).

Ross.

ROFL - yeah - that sounds about right ;-)
OK, saved all this for future reference. I may try feeding them so the
birds and wildlife can enjoy more bigger grapes down the road. I might
try making jam in a couple years, too, when there are enough. And I love
dolmades, so you just answered one unspoken question. Since I garden
organically they are clean, so I see Greek dinners in my future. Thanks!!!

--
Sylvia