Old 17-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Tim B

Default Need Advice on Fencing a Small Vegetable Garden

Till the ground where the fence will be. Then I use a plastic wire that
looks like chicken wire but is quicker to put it up. Your home supply store
will probably have 1x1 or so posts about 30 inches long that are more or
less scrap wood. Or you can use plain deck rails, little more expensive but
you can use the cheapest ones you can find. Put up the posts, stretch the
plastic wire, staple with a staple gun,. I fold over a few inches of the
wire on the ground facing out to discourage digging. Then scratch in some
Preen so that you don't have weeds in the little fence.

You can take it down (just roll it up is fine) once everything is going
pretty good and the lettuce is over.

Grand total for 30x40 is about $10. Spending a lot on materials sort of
defeats the financial benefit of growing food. Spending a lot of time on
fence takes time away from other things.

"Jay Chan" wrote in message
m...
I am trying to fence a small vegetable garden to prevent rabbits from
eating my string beans. By the way, I am living in northern New Jersey
area.

- How tall the fence should be? Is 2-ft tall enough? Rabbits in this
area are not that big. They are around 3/4-ft long when they are
sitting on the ground.

- I am planning to use a wooden fence with stiff plastic net mounted
on the fence. My question is: What type of wood should I use? Is
pressure treated wood good? Because it is a vegetable garden, I am
afraid that using pressure treated wood may not be appropriate (I
don't really know if I am worrying too much). Should I use pressure
treated wood as poles, and use cedar for the rest of the fence? Should
I use cedar to make the whole fence, and use metal
pole-footers/pole-anchors for ground contact?

I welcome any suggestion. Thanks.

Jay Chan