Old 12-09-2009, 10:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne D.[_2_] Suzanne D.[_2_] is offline

Default Question on how to use cotton

"gunner" wrote in message news:-
Aside from the laborious thread/weaving, you can use the fibers in making
papers, There are many sources for making handmade papers on the net. If
there are not too many, you can smash the seeds rather than pick them
out, adds interesting texture to the paper. Try making handmade covers
from your garden for your garden notebook .

Wow, that's actually a really interesting idea, and would be a good use of
the relatively small amount of cotton I will be getting. It seems that
removing the seeds is a pain in the butt, so I could either cut them out
with scissors, or just crush them like you said. Do other plant fibers work
in paper? If I had, say, old corn leaves, assorted flowers, onion skins,
etc., could they be incorporated into the paper slush? Would I have to dry
them first? I think I could probably find some natural dyes around here as
well. Thanks for the idea.
--S.