Old 13-09-2009, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roy Bailey Roy Bailey is offline

Default Elderberry bushes

In article , Bertie Doe
writes
My neighbour has given me a bottle each of elderberry port and a
sparkling elderberry wine. Well I want to grow my own and she's offered
me some cuttings, but we don't know :
a) the best time to plant
b) in greenhouse or coldframe.
Any help much appreciated.

I don't know where you live, but the thought of anyone actually
cultivating elderberries makes the mind boggle. Around here they grow
wild in great profusion and are more like an arboreal weed.

I don't know if you can grow elderberries from cuttings (for obvious
reasons) but the best way is to get some ripe berries around this time
and plant the seeds outside. I know they grow quickly in this way, as I
am always having to pull up tiny plants before they get established.

The elderberry is one of those plants which grows up again from the
roots however hard you cut it back.

I applaud your desire to make both elderflower and elderberry wine; the
plant is very useful in this respect, but it needs to be kept under
control.

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey