Old 13-09-2009, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
richard richard is offline

Default Native Texas Bamboo

Mysterious Traveler wrote:
Today I stopped at a place outside of town where a large patch of
what looks to be a native Bamboo is growing. It's about twenty
feet tall, an inch in diameter and has seed heads at the top. We
are having a severe drought here but these look healthy and
couldn't be pulled out of the ground, so I cut off some seed heads
and will let them dry before I throw them around some places away
from the house.

Will these start growing in the winter if I throw seed out before
spring?

These don't appear to be running or clumping Bamboo, but I'm not
an expert.

Anyone interested in getting some seeds? I wonder what the
restrictions would be for sending seeds to Florida, California
or some other states if someone from there wanted seeds?

Mysterious Traveler
West Texas

The book at www.seedgarden.co.uk/ebooks/bambooebook.pdf makes recommendations regarding bamboo seeds.

If you get the opportunity to take and post some pictures of this plant (the stems, leaves, seeds and where it comes out of the
ground), someone may be able to suggest an identification.

I can't comment on the restrictions of sending seeds as I live in Europe.