Old 13-09-2009, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
aquachimp aquachimp is offline

Default Long-reach hedgetrimmers

On Sep 13, 4:23*pm, Kath wrote:
Has anyone had any experience of either long-reach or articulated hedge trimmers? Are they
any good? I am very unsteady on step ladders and find it difficult to be up there and use
trimmers so I always miss a lot at the top of the hedge.

Kath

'The Stories of George the Hamster'
Translated by Lee H and Kathleen Smith
ISBN - 978-0-9546989-3-5
Available fromwww.arlev.clara.net/george.htm
and from both on line and High Street Bookshops

I'll take it you mean petrol ones. They take a bit of getting used to.
What's more, they can't cope with what the standard hedge cutters can
deal with; this means that they can break; which can be very
expensive.
They come into their own in awkward places, like say between hedges,
or where access to height in hampered from lack of width for a ladder,
or where one side of the hedge meets a steep slope.
Their extra reach doesn't turn out to be as great as you might expect.
tis is because of the position of the handle or grip and the need to
maintain control over its balance.

I have a step ladder which I bought in the UK . It comes with a little
platform which I use to create a mini scaffolding.
maybe such a portable platform would be better for you.