Old 13-09-2009, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Elderberry bushes

David Rance wrote:
On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 Bertie Doe wrote:

My neighbour has given me a bottle each of elderberry port and a
sparkling elderberry wine. Well I want to grow my own and she's
offered me some cuttings, but we don't know :
a) the best time to plant
b) in greenhouse or coldframe.
Any help much appreciated.

I've found that they propagate very easily from seed in pots. Spring is
the best time but you could try now.

Or seed in the purple bird droppings produced in profusion. I would not
recommend planting one in a small garden. They are OK in a larger garden
or the countryside but it is easier to go picking them from hedgerows
than growing your own - same is true for sloes. Not much competition
apart from the birds these days.

I'd be surprised if the neighbours garden doesn't have a few elderberry
seedlings growing in the borders. Depending how near the neighbour is it
is remarkable that you don't already have some too!

Elderflower champagne made from the flowers is excellent too - but the
process is very tedious.

Regards,
Martin Brown