Old 13-09-2009, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Long-reach hedgetrimmers

On 13 Sep, 20:17, Kath wrote:
On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 19:31:53 +0100, "Muddymike" wrote:

"Kath" wrote in message
.. .
Has anyone had any experience of either long-reach or
articulated hedge trimmers? Are they
any good? I am very unsteady on step ladders and find it
difficult to be up there and use
trimmers so I always miss a lot at the top of the hedge.

Snip

Thank youfor all your very informative replies. It gives me a lot to think about. The
neatness is not very important in the place it is but the weight and drag on my arms and
shoulders may be. The expense of a 'platform' is to be thought out too but it is good to
consider.

Thanks.
Kath

'The Stories of George the Hamster'
Translated by Lee H and Kathleen Smith
ISBN - 978-0-9546989-3-5
Available fromwww.arlev.clara.net/george.htm
and from both on line and High Street Bookshops

You don't say how much hedge you have to cut and its height.
I have a Stihl Strimmer and have the hedge cutter, chainsaw atachments
for it,
It makes my arms ache quite quickly but I am cutting around 3/4 of a
mile of hedge in all. but not at the same time, I can cut to around
10ft or so and as tou can angle the blade you can cut quite well into
the top of the hedge.
I wouldnt be without it,
Cut a bit then clear as a rest for the arms, then cut some more.
Once you get used to ot it cuts as well as the petrol hedge trimmer,
and with practice you can cutfinger thick or a bit more.
David Hill