Old 14-09-2009, 05:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
gunner gunner is offline

Default Question on how to use cotton

"Suzanne D." wrote in message

"gunner" wrote in message news:-
Aside from the laborious thread/weaving, you can use the fibers in
making papers, There are many sources for making handmade papers on the
net. If there are not too many, you can smash the seeds rather than
pick them out, adds interesting texture to the paper. Try making
handmade covers from your garden for your garden notebook .

Wow, that's actually a really interesting idea, and would be a good use of
the relatively small amount of cotton I will be getting. It seems that
removing the seeds is a pain in the butt, so I could either cut them out
with scissors, or just crush them like you said. Do other plant fibers
work in paper? If I had, say, old corn leaves, assorted flowers, onion
skins, etc., could they be incorporated into the paper slush? Would I
have to dry them first? I think I could probably find some natural dyes
around here as well. Thanks for the idea.
--S.

The short answer is yes, all those work and you can still incorporate
flowers in the design. These links may help your research. Videos are
always good for me to get some imagination, this one is no exception.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlX87tvei7c

http://www.handpapermaking.org/beginner/index.htm

Good Luck Suzanne