Old 14-09-2009, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default "Lemon" trees in the UK

I have a small lemon tree rescued from a garden centre discount bin -
and I have just tried the first "lemon" from it in a G&T. I confess I
was disappointed - I was hoping for a fresh aromatic home grown lemon.

It took a couple of years to recover from its ill treatment to flower
and fruit. Like most of the UK garden centre lemon trees the "lemons"
are round, orange when ripe and with orange acidic flesh. The leaves are
larger than the mini-orange plant.

I know citrus fruit are remarkably promiscuous but does anyone know what
the plant being sold in UK garden centres as a lemon tree is? I have
seen the same thing sold as a lemon tree in plenty of places so it isn't
a mislabelling problem.

In particular is the fruit OK to eat. It tastes unlike any of the citrus
fruit I am familiar with. Nothing like a lime or lemon. Closest to a
grapefruit, or bitter orange but with other fruit acids dominant (not
tartaric and not citric) and a distinct citrus odour from the peel that
is almost like a lemon but not quite. Any ideas what it is?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Regards,
Martin Brown