Old 17-04-2003, 02:32 AM
paghat

Default did my oak tree die?

In article , "info"
wrote:

I am in Tampa

last November i did a stuipd thing, i pulled out my oak tree from the
ground (it was growing very slow) and replaced the soil with manure and
humus, the leaves started falling, i thought it is becasue of winter, March
was warm, so i trimmed very hard to stimulate the roots growth, till now ,
not even a single new leaf, i have 2 other oak trees which i never care to
repalced their soil and they r growing well

thnx for help

Some oaks will still only just now be getting little leafbuds, so it might
be a speck early to know for sure it's dead. But EITHER well-composted
manure OR humousy compost mixed with sand or clay soil is not the same as
planting something in pure manure & humous. Plants want a mix of organic &
inorganic, & you may have vastly exeeded the organic component. Plus, if
by manure you mean nice fresh stinky uncomposted poo, double-bad-action on
that poor tree's roots, though I'm assuming you mean composted steer or
chicken manure.

For the most part you can't force a tree to grow quicker just by
over-fertilizing or planting it in pure compost. A good balanced soil &
patience is what it takes. And if you want trees with substance, you have
to invest in slighty larger specimens. Generally speaking a 12 or 15 foot
tree isn't all that expensive nor the rootball impossibly large, & right
from day one you have something with a little substance even though it's a
lot of years away from being a big tree. If you did kill the tree you
were disatisfied with already, at least that leaves you an opportunity to
replace it with a bigger choice that won't try your patience.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"