Old 15-09-2009, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Elderberry bushes

Bertie Doe wrote:
Thanks all, I will try some cuttings and also use some seeds from the
berries. The plant that is producing the berries is in fact a tree. It's
very gnarled and must be 15' tall. It forms part of a hedgerow between
our allotments and a farmers field.

I can't see any seedlings around, as I guess there's too much
competition for light, from hazel and cob. Although there is no real
problems for space as I own an allotment, are there smaller, more
compact varieties?

Only if you hack them down regularly. I have one on my field boundary.
It is more multistemmed shrub than a tree and about 4m tall 3m spread
only half over my land. The cows prune the field side for me. I have
planted the Black Lace S. nigra cultivar to keep it company. That is
much slower growing and quite ornamental too.

I would still suggest scrumping elderberries from the hedgerow rather
than using your own growing space. Blueberries are much more rewarding.

Regards,
Martin Brown