Old 15-09-2009, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default First year rhubarb

"Paul" wrote in message
I understand it's best not to pull the first year's
crop - do I let
the leaves and stalks just wither and rot back into
the ground, or
should I remove them when they start to go over?

Yes let them wither and rot back. Every 3 years, you
can (during Winter) split the crown in half and form
two plants. Over the years I've managed to produce
about 12 crowns, which form a double row across the
allotment.
I take stalks from late Spring thru to mid August. I
always leave about 3 stalks on each crown - to wither
and rot.