Old 15-09-2009, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies Emrys Davies is offline

Default top growth

"Lofty" wrote in message
Hi All,
I'm new here and to gardening, but this year I have tried growing a

few vegs
on a small piece of land, which gets nice sunshine, and whilst my

onions and
potatoes havn't done to bad, things like radish, beetroot etc have

made lots
of top growth but there is nothing underneath them. Also I have

brussel
plants about 3 foot tall but no brussells as such on them. My collies

made
plenty of top but only very small hearts some of which went a funny

colour.
Could someone please tell me what or where I am going wrong with my

veg
growing.

Thanks in advance

Lofty

I am interested as to whether you have been too liberal with manure as
too much nitrogen produces top growth rather than root growth. This
site http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/beginner/feed_plants.asp explains
that quite well. If you have been over generous with manure then next
year should be good providing, of course, that you do not repeat the
fault.