Old 15-09-2009, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Favorite Tomato

wrote:
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 18:25:58 -0400, phorbin
wrote:

In article ,

says...

Every body knows that home grown vine ripened tomatoes are way better than
anything store bought.
The question is out of all the tomatoes you grow at home which one is your
favorite?

Any that survives this year's blight.

Ain't that the truth! This year has been a disaster for our tomatoes.
We normally can anywhere from 30 to as many as 80 liters each summer
but this year we don't have enough to bother putting the kettle on.
As far as the original question, we don't have any one favourite
tomato. All the heirloom varieties we grow are excellent.
There's a picture of some of them from a previous year at
http://tinypic.com/r/2lu8ihi/3
The Hillbilly (also known as Flame) in the center of the picture
weighed 968 grams (over 2 pounds).

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
AgCanada Zone 5b
43º 17' 26.75" North
80º 13' 29.46" West

My Porter tomatoes are hardly affected by the blight. They are lush and
healthy and about 7 feet tall. (no ripe fruit yet.) I also planted
Legend, which is supposed to be Late Blight resistant, and the plants
are bout dead but I've picked about 2 dozen wonderful tomatoes, and
there's another dozen nice fruit on the dying plants.

I'll plant the Porters again next year, and get them in the ground
earlier and a little more space between the plants (they are kind of
crowded now.) Not sure if I'll plant Legend again, but if I do I'll
keep 'em sprayed with a fungicide. They taste good enough they are
probably worth another try.

If I was smart, I would give up on tomatoes and devote a lot more space
to tomatillos. They grow so much better here and have no disease or
pest problems. (I don't even plant them, I just select a few volunteers
every year and transplant them)

Bob