Old 15-09-2009, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Elderberry bushes

On 2009-09-15 23:30:18 +0100, David Rance
said:

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 Bertie Doe wrote:

Thanks all, I will try some cuttings and also use some seeds from the
berries. The plant that is producing the berries is in fact a tree.
It's very gnarled and must be 15' tall. It forms part of a hedgerow
between our allotments and a farmers field.

It can be persuaded to grow as a tree - I have such a one - but
normally it will grow as a bush.

I can't see any seedlings around, as I guess there's too much
competition for light, from hazel and cob. Although there is no real
problems for space as I own an allotment, are there smaller, more
compact varieties?

There are some cultivars but they are developed for their foliage
rather than their fruit. The elderberry used for its fruit is a wild
one and doesn't come in varieties, except that some bushes seem to
produce smaller fruit than others.

David

Unless the OP has plenty of space to let this one rampage, I really
think that gathering flowers for elderflower cordial and berries for
elderflower wine, are best done from wild hedgerows or neighbouring
farmland etc. In its original form, it's spreading habit takes up a
great deal of space.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com