Old 16-09-2009, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Building one's own greenhouse

In article , Grumpy-
says...

'soup[_2_ Wrote:
;864360']Frederick Williams wrote:-
Can anyone recommend web sites that instruct one in the building of a
greenhouse? -

Not really.

What I would say though is think long and hard about the glazing.
The cheapest (horticultural glass) is easy to get as a replacement but

when it breaks it breaks into long jaggy pieces of glass (dangerous).
The dearest (polycarbonate) is hard to get. We got toughened glass as

youngest was in danger of 'piling' through the glass and this shatters

into lots of little pieces, it is really quite strong when loads are
placed on it but it is quite delicate at the edges, and will shatter
rather than crack . I wish we had gone with a polycarbonate system or

laminated glass and hang the expense. Frightened to look at the
greenhouse (probably unnecessarily) in case one of the panels goes as
the whole panel will need replaced not just a crack taped or some
such.

So if NO chance of children animals etc breaking the glass
probably
ordinary stuff will do (after all it has worked on windows for hundreds

of years)if at all worried go for an 'unbreakable' method and hang the

expense, do not choose the halfway house (like I did) of toughened
glass.
All IMHO

I wouldn't agree that the glazing is the hardest part. Here is a
company that you can buy Polycarbonate from:
http://tinyurl.com/ksw9bb

Pretty pricey if you ask me though - Perspex is a cheaper option:
http://tinyurl.com/lsp8yg

You can even have them cut to your size. What does everyone else think?

--
Grumpy-Grower

Perspex would go brittle and shatter within a couple of years it is much
better to use glass or polycarbonate and its much easier to have it the
size you want and not have to cut it
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk