Old 16-09-2009, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Tree Has Reddish "Golf Balls" Somethings Appearing: What Are They ?

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:53:33 -0400, "Zeppo" wrote:

"Dee" wrote in message
. com...
Phisherman wrote in
:

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 08:26:57 -0700 (PDT), T2B
wrote:

On Sep 14, 10:06 am, Dee wrote:
"Robert11" wrote
:

Hi,

Live outside of Boston.

Have this tree in my front yard about 20 feet tall or so.
Have no idea what it is.
Has pointed leaves, no cones.

Moved in about 4 yrs ago, and tree was like, well, just there
since, and looking pretty.

Just now, WOW !

Zillions of round, reddish color, balls have appeared all over
for the first time (at least in 4 yrs.).
About 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter.

Surface is not smooth, has many protrusions going outward.
Almost like a small golf ball, with the dimples going outward
rather than inward.

Any idea what this is, and what is happening ?

Thanks,
Bob

First thing that comes to mind is Cornus kousa.

Dee- Hide quoted text -

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ousa_fruit.jpg

I second your nomination. All in favor ???

Looks like Dogwood fruit, each about the size of a pea, not 1-1.5"
in diameter.

According to Wikipedia, the fruit is 2-3 cm in diameter though can be
up to 4 cm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornus_kousa

Dee

Or maybe 'Litchi Chinensis'?

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...sis_fruits.JPG

Jon

Litchi is sub tropical, I seriously doubt it will grow in the Boston
area.

http://www.lycheesonline.com/lycheedescription.cfm

Until the OP posts a photo of the tree and growths described all
anyone can offer is wild speculation. There are galls that also match
the description and are likely to occur on trees that grow in the
Boston growing zone.
http://stockindexonline.com/index.ph...=keywordsearch