Old 16-09-2009, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default apple trees from seed

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:43:49 -0700, "DEM" wrote:

I found a couple of old apple trees that produced the
best apples I had since a child. I have always wanted
to try planting apple seeds and now with these two
wonderful apple seeds, I did just that.

I have two apple trees (same tree) that grew almost 3
ft in one year! I'm ready to plant them in the ground as
soon as the weather cools.

The other apple seeds that I planted, are just now
popping up in my make-shift hot box.

My question....will these trees produce anything near
to their mother plant? I have other dwarf apple trees
and I'm not worried about pollination. But I don't
know what if any type of apples these trees will produce.

Is a seed a seed and will it keep growing and be like
the mother seed from which it came?

Donna
in WA

Maybe, odds are against it. You best bet is to get a branch of the
tree which you enjoyed the fruit and graft it onto a well-established
apple tree. You want a tree with an excellent root stock for
starters, then you can graft (up to ~150) varieties onto it.