Old 17-09-2009, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Badgers or foxes?

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

Farmers in these parts grow fields of maize for cattle fodder (I think
the whole plant is shredded to make a silage. Said to improve milk
yield relative to ordinary grass silage). Occasionally you see patches
around the edge of the field that have been flattened, say a few yards
square, and the cobs partially eaten. I have always assumed it to be
badger damage, as I don't see that foxes would flatten it down on such
a large scale. The maize stalks stand six feet high and are quite
sturdy.

Try deer or wild boar.

Green monkeys are a major problem, and baboons are much, much worse,
but global warming hasn't reached the level that they are major UK
pests yet.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.