Old 17-04-2003, 03:08 AM
pgh

Default Leave grass clippings on site? (not composting this year)

Hi,

Sorry for the elementary question (again!). This is the
first time in my life I'm responsible for maintaining a
garden. This question is about the lawn, specifically.
We bought a push reel mower the same day we moved in
(about a month ago) and this past weekend I mowed the
lawn for the first time. I left the grass clippings right
there. I just wanted to know if this is the wrong way to
mow the lawn. Should I be gathering up the grass clippings?
It seems like a lot of extra work, and I don't care if my
lawn is not the nicest around. I just want to provide
basic maintenance. Will there be any long term problem
because I leave the grass clipping on site?

(NOTE: I don't want to use grass clippings as ingredient
for a compost pile because the previous owner used some
sort of pesticide; I'll wait until next year for that.
I don't intend use chemicals on my lawn, btw).

I'll appreciate any word of advice. Thanks!