Old 18-09-2009, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default apple trees from seed

"DEM" wrote:

The seeds I planted and actually grew (not a natural green thumber)
were all from decades old trees....at least 50 years old or older. *They
just don't make em like this any more and I'm old enough to know
that....so since they're growing anyway, I'll just wait and see what
happens.

Who knows....maybe nothing. * But it's worth the try.

Actually it's not worth the try, it's a very poor investment, in a
large block of wasted time and the wasted growing space, plus your
hopeful expectations will ultimately be dashed... when you could have
planted grafted true to form sapplings that would be productive in 2
years for like $15 each... Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, etc. sell
potted fruit trees in season for cheap, the exact same trees sold at
fancy schmancy nurserys for trice the price. And fruit trees require
a lot of maintenence, not worth it for throw back fruit. I can see
planting fruit pips from a tree you're sentimental about, for potted
foliage if all you have is like one or two apartment windows, but odds
of pips producing true to form fruit are slim to zero. If you live on
rural acreage plant your seedlings at the edge of the woods where they
can produce critter food, and probably beautiful blossoms. I wouldn't
destroy them, planting trees is always a good deed, and will gift the
planet same as any tree, but if it's apples you want then it's true to
form grafted apple trees you need to plant.