Old 18-09-2009, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default apple trees from seed

brooklyn1 wrote in
:

"DEM" wrote:

The seeds I planted and actually grew (not a natural green
thumber) were all from decades old trees....at least 50 years
old or older. *They just don't make em like this any more and
I'm old enough to know that....so since they're growing
anyway, I'll just wait and see what happens.

Who knows....maybe nothing. * But it's worth the try.

Actually it's not worth the try, it's a very poor investment, in
a large block of wasted time and the wasted growing space, plus
your hopeful expectations will ultimately be dashed... when you
could have planted grafted true to form sapplings that would be
productive in 2 years for like $15 each... Lowes, Home Depot,
Walmart, etc. sell potted fruit trees in season for cheap, the
exact same trees sold at fancy schmancy nurserys for trice the
price. And fruit trees require a lot of maintenence, not worth
it for throw back fruit. I can see planting fruit pips from a
tree you're sentimental about, for potted foliage if all you
have is like one or two apartment windows, but odds of pips
producing true to form fruit are slim to zero. If you live on
rural acreage plant your seedlings at the edge of the woods
where they can produce critter food, and probably beautiful
blossoms. I wouldn't destroy them, planting trees is always a
good deed, and will gift the planet same as any tree, but if
it's apples you want then it's true to form grafted apple trees
you need to plant.

and how do you think new apples come into being? by grafting trees?
nope. you have to start by planting seeds. some are ok, some are
really really good. you won't get bad fruit from seed, and you might
get something great.
for old fogies like you, maybe planting fruit seeds takes too long,
but (thankfully) we aren't all like you, willing to buy trash trees
at WalMart.
lee