Old 18-09-2009, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
hubops hubops is offline

Default apple trees from seed

The seeds I planted and actually grew (not a natural green thumber)
were all from decades old trees....at least 50 years old or older. They
just don't make em like this any more and I'm old enough to know
that....so since they're growing anyway, I'll just wait and see what
happens.
Who knows....maybe nothing. But it's worth the try.
Donna
in WA

I'm jumping in late to this thread .. sorry.
Can anyone say whether-or-not
directly planting "branch-clones" of old fruit trees
will produce the same fruit of the original tree ?
"branch clones" being the result of girding & rooting
a branch _ON_ a fruit tree - then cutting and re-planting it.
... or does this rooty-branch need to be grafted
to a strong root stock ? later on.
The property where I grew up has some ancient
fruit trees - 3 or 4 apple and 1 winter pear -
that might be worth preserving.
John T