Old 18-09-2009, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Badgers eat sweetcorn

On 2009-09-18 15:23:20 +0100, Pam Moore said:

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:39:25 +0100 (BST), wrote:

In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:

We have no deer in the area and certainly no wild boar. Nobody has
reported either.

Er, have you any idea how rarely muntjac and roe are seen, even
where they are resident? Unless you live close to the centre of
Bristol, you assuredly DO have them in the area.

We have a lot of pigeons about but they would not pull the stems over,
nor could smaller animals. Deer would eat them without breaking the
stems, I think?

Eh? Why? Muntjac are c. 18" high at the shoulder with low heads.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Our allotmenteers have complained about badgers, but
nobody has mentioned seeing deer or hoofprints. However the ground is
so dry and dusty that no incriminating footprints of any sort were
left, but a latrine hole was mentioned though I didn't see it. My
remaining corn cobs were around 2 feet above the ground, which sounds
about right for deer of that size.

Thanks. Nothing will bring back my sweetcorn but I don't like
mysteries. Badgers having been the only larger animals experienced
here before, so I still think they are the culprits.

Pam in Bristol

No danger of it being human animals, presumably?

Certainly not 2-legged rats! They would have taken the whole cob.
The empty husks were all over the place!

Pam in Bristol

I hope that's verging on some kind of comfort! At least it's natural
and not malicious. ;-(
--
Sacha