Old 19-09-2009, 06:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible
D. Arlington[_3_] D. Arlington[_3_] is offline

Default Any one else have a bad tomato season?

"Dan Abel" wrote in message
In article ,
"D. Arlington" wrote:

Kris wrote:
Hi all,

I've been accessing my tomato patch this year with dismay. I've had
few tomatoes compared to last year.

What is also puzzling is that some plants are doing much better than
ones right next to it! They all received the same amount of water.

Someone told me there was "tomato blight" (not sure what that is) this
year. We also had a record cold July, which didn't help I'm sure.

Did anyone else experience this?

Kris

Late blight struck ours but many had already ripened by then, or were
near
ripe. I canned several dozen quarts, pints and half pints of sauce.
I'll
have enough to last us over a year. The freezer is full of greens and
peppers. Also canned many quarts and pints of green and wax beans.

Interesting. I live in an area that isn't great for tomatoes, although
one of the biggest US tomato growing areas is less than 100 miles away.
This year our big tomatoes ripened first, early and often. The first
year I grew big tomatoes, they didn't ripen until November, and they
were horrible ugly due to cracks and deformities. They are perfect this
year.

Or tomatoes seldom get really large for some reason. I get the soil checked,
add what's needed, water, spray if necessary.... and still get tomatoes on
the small side. I just grow more plants. The Roma's will reach full size
but are very prone to early and late blight. Our summers are generally hot,
humid and lacking in rainfall. Peppers do well here, especially the
cowhorn/banana types. Also, the Japanese eggplant.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA