Old 19-09-2009, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies Emrys Davies is offline

Default How to stop fir tree growing

"Fat Freddy's Cat" wrote in message
Hi,

about 5 years ago we purchased a small, potted (3ft) fir tree which
decorated our front garden and we put lights on at Xmas.

We have since moved house and brought this tree with us which we

removed
from the pot and planted in the garden. It has since grown approx

12-18"
each year and is now approaching 7 feet tall. It has taken a definite

spurt
in growth since we took it out the pot which has taken us by surprise

and in
its current position, we don't want it to grow much taller.

Is there anything we can do to stop it growing without killing the

tree? Can
we snip off the single top growth (which is already showing buds where

new
side shoos etc are due to split off?

I've no idea what species it is other than to say the pins are soft to

the
touch and very tightly packed on the stem, For a fir tree it has a

nice
touch rather than jaggy.

It may be a Leylandii http://preview.tinyurl.com/mbvo5z. which grows
very tall and can be troublesome because of its eventual size. There is
much written about it. Whatever it is you can control its height by
pruning but that will cause it to grow out of shape and somewhat
unsightly. You may decide to get rid of it and replace it with one
which is suitable for the location.