Old 19-09-2009, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Tree Has Reddish "Golf Balls" Somethings Appearing: What Are They ?

"dwight" wrote in
:

Reading this thread, I thought I'd snap some photos of my own
pointy-leaved tree with red golf balls:
http://www.tfrog.com/digitals/daily/daily.htm

The golf balls do not appear annually, which may be why it comes
as a surprise to the OP, and mine are between 1/2" to an 1".
They also mostly appear only on the side of the tree exposed to
sunlight.

dogwood (cornus kousa). those fruits are edible. the outer 'shells'
are a bit crunchy which contrasts with the custardy insides.
we had a bumper crop last year, but the fruits are quite sparse this
year. they tend to bear heavily on alternate years, but this spring
was cold and very wet here, so there was a shortage of bugs to
pollinate as well.
the trees appreciate sun, & fruit better if they get a lot of sun.
the one next to my driveway always has more fruit than the ones in
the semishade in the backyard.
i have to fight both the chickens & the dogs to get any of the
fruit... i discovered my cattledog will climb trees to get cornus
kousa fruit last year.
lee