Old 20-09-2009, 11:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Overwintering water lettuce/hyacinth

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:53:48 EDT, Peter wrote:

Hi Guys,
I've been growing water lettuce and less successfully water hyacinth
this summer, and since its getting cold I decided to hell with most of
the advice on the internet I am going to try and overwinter some.
I have set up deep storage container half filled water, with a red/blue
led growlight in front of sunny patio door.
I wondered if anyone had any further advice, tales of success and failure.
Peter

The time I tried the water lettuce they just slowly got smaller and smaller
till they were no more. The WH, otoh, did best for me when the roots were
in contact with soil, I lost a lot but had enough come spring to start anew
that year, but they sure looked crappy in the house. I found bugs were the
worst problem, spider mites in particular that you can't see and the
over-wintering eggs hatch around March, eat them up.

If I were to do it again, I'd tent them and have a pest strip in the tent.
Killing those dang hidden bugs. That's my plan when I pull the taros out of
the pond this year, while they're sitting on the patio, protected from any
unexpected frost I'm tenting them with plastic and putting a pest strip in
there. What I don't know is if those things are effective against eggs that
might not hatch till March? Regardless, I'll get all the dang egg laying
adults before they come in the house and multiply w/o predators to eat
them. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us