Old 21-09-2009, 06:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
T2B T2B is offline

Default Tree Has Reddish "Golf Balls" Somethings Appearing: What Are They?

On Sep 20, 5:04*pm, lannerman
wrote:
Dee;864888 Wrote:

"dwight" wrote in
:
-

"Dee" wrote in message
. com...-
enigma wrote in
news:Xns9C86AD00DD0EBenigmaevilnet@ 199.125.85.9:
-
Dee wrote in
. com:

Phisherman wrote in
:
Looks like Dogwood fruit, each about the size of a pea, not
1-1.5" in diameter.

According to Wikipedia, the fruit is 2-3 cm in diameter though
can be up to 4 cm.

the description of the fruit sounds like dogwood (& those are
edible, BTW), but would you describe the leaves as "pointy"?
lee-

I wouldn't, no. *But I could see how someone who didn't know much
about plants might do so. *A simple leaf with a point on the end
might be described as pointy *:-) *But I guess if the OP doesn't
post back with a response or a photo we may never know for sure.

Dee-

Reading this thread, I thought I'd snap some photos of my own
pointy-leaved tree with red golf balls:
http://tinyurl.com/nhhxu8

The golf balls do not appear annually, which may be why it comes
as a surprise to the OP, and mine are between 1/2" to an 1". They
also mostly appear only on the side of the tree exposed to
sunlight.

dwight-

Thanks for posting your photos, dwight. *I enjoyed perusing through
them.

Dee

Hi Folks, Most intrigued by your discussion, from where I am in
Cornwall UK. I would also opt for Cornus but the variety I would go for
is capitata.
Regards Lanerman.

--
lannerman- Hide quoted text -

Yes, it could be Cornus capitata since one of its common names is
"Himalaya strawberry-tree."