Old 21-09-2009, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lablab beans

In article ,
DaveP wrote:
It must be at least 15 years or so ago when I grew this as a quick,
stop-gap cover for new fencing while deciding what to plant
permanently. It was hardly any more trouble than growing runner
beans. Maybe the trick is to wait until night temperatures are close
to 10C min and plant against a sunny wall or fence. It's a pretty
thing with rather striking seed pods that I could quite bring myself
to pick for the pot. My main gripe then was that I thought the
foliage was too coarse and dense for the numbers of flower spikes
produced. By early autumn it was getting far too unruly so I pulled
it out without ever discovering whether the roots might overwinter
here.

Thanks. I am surprised at the way that it didn't start growing even
in my conservatory, though. I wonder what triggers it into climbing
mode.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.