Old 21-09-2009, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default G.triacanthos "Sunburst"

Shirleyp wrote:
Hi All,

We want to replace a Frisia Robinia Tree which has died.

Can anyone advise me? It needs to be a small tree or one that we would
be able to cut back to keep to the size that we want and have been
looking at the G.TRIACANTHOS "Sunburst" as this has very similar leaves
and colour that the Frisia has.

Shirley
Cambridge

Hi Shirley, did your "Frisia" die from the unknown agent as described on
this rhs page: http://www.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=401
I have a well established one here in Normandy that is failing in
exactly this way, very disappointing as it was a lovely tree.

Our plan is, if it dies completely, to replace with Gleditsia "Sunburst"
as you describe. I've also heard the G. is less brittle.

Only drawback is no flowers of course. The Robinia didn't flower
heavily every year but when it did it was very fine.

Sorry to hear about yours.

-E