Old 21-09-2009, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default G.triacanthos "Sunburst"

"Emery Davis" wrote
Shirleyp wrote:
We want to replace a Frisia Robinia Tree which has died. Can anyone
advise me? It needs to be a small tree or one that we would
be able to cut back to keep to the size that we want and have been
looking at the G.TRIACANTHOS "Sunburst" as this has very similar leaves
and colour that the Frisia has.

Hi Shirley, did your "Frisia" die from the unknown agent as described on
this rhs page: http://www.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=401
I have a well established one here in Normandy that is failing in exactly
this way, very disappointing as it was a lovely tree.

Our plan is, if it dies completely, to replace with Gleditsia "Sunburst"
as you describe. I've also heard the G. is less brittle.

Only drawback is no flowers of course. The Robinia didn't flower heavily
every year but when it did it was very fine.

Sorry to hear about yours.

Robinias do seem to like an endless depth of soil and they also seem to
dislike the dryness we have experienced this year. That said, our
R.pseudoacacia tortuosa is quite large and flowers beautifully every year
but we have a good depth of soil over gravel and a high water table too
being near the R. Thames.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden