Old 22-09-2009, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis

In article ,
says...
On 2009-09-21 15:04:05 +0100, "Kathy" said:

Recently, on another, non-gardening, newsgroup, I mentioned that I was
going
to plant a clematis. Another poster commented that they are poisonous.
I've never heard this before, are they right?

There are more poisonous than non-toxic plants in every garden. Daffodil
bulbs are poisonous, rhubarb leaves are poisonous, all parts of laburnum
are poisonous. Euphorbia sap can produce a major skin irritant for some
people as can daffodil flower stem sap and so on. It might be worth
looking at the RHS web site but I don't think there has been a fatality
through anyone chomping on garden plants, for years. I have never, ever,
heard of anyone suffering from a reaction to Clematis.

Thanks for all the replies. The comment may have come about because I said
I am going to plant one to honour my cat, Millie, who I have just buried.
She was poisoned.

My cat usesone of the clematis to climb up on the roof and her bed of
choice is my clematis liners on the nursery, so while clematis do have a
mild irritent in them you would have to consume quite large quantities to
do any harm and it tastes horrible (dont ask!)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk