Old 17-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Jim Sullivan

Default My first lawn mower

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message
news:P7jna.507838$S_4.552809@rwcrnsc53...
"Stephen Kurzban" wrote in message
Point is, if you keep up with maintenance basics like the
air filter, oil, blade sharpening or at least balance, keep
a decent plug in it, don't allow the engine to become
encrusted with clippings (which allows overheating or can
bind linkages), and don't cut grass when the yard is wet,
almost anything should last a while.

I'm sorry that just isn't true. My Craftsman was very well maintained.

The
fatal flaw was the self-propel transmission. There was not even anything
that was SUPPOSED to be maintained with that.

Ah, there's the difference. Self-propelled vs. Me-propelled. I've never
owned a self-propelled lawn mower, which may be the difference in my
Craftsman experience and yours. When you start to add complexity to the
mix, then yes, a cheap, self-propelled won't last. But a decent push mower,
with a B&S engine is going to last, provided you take are of it.

Since you aren't going to see a decent self-propelled for $250, the original
poster is probably not going to purchase one.

--
Jim Sullivan