Old 22-09-2009, 09:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
David Johansen David Johansen is offline

Default Leveling ground under grass?

On Sep 22, 11:43*am, brooklyn1 wrote:
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:22:26 -0700 (PDT), David Johansen

wrote:
This summer we laid sod in our backyard and we prepped/flattened the
sod underneath,

Not sure what you mean by "sod underneath", did you really lay new sod
over old sod? *I'd like to hear you laid new sod atop freshly prepared
earth.

Sorry that was a typo. I meant "ground/dirt underneath" and not sod.

but we were in a rush to try and finish some things up
before it started raining and I guess we walked on it too much before
it all settled because now the ground is fairly uneven and not as flat/
level as I would like.

Is there a way to level the ground under the grass now that it's
established?

You don't want to level the grass, you want to level the ground the
sod/grass is set on. *One of the best ways (and should have been done
prior to laying new sod) is by running a roller back and forth and
crosswise. *You can still roll the area to help level the ground, just
don't use too much weight lest you damage your new sod... fill the
roller only about 1/3 with water. *You don't say how much area but it
would be best to use a a push roller, but if your area is large you
may need to tow the roller, than use the lightest weght tractor with
the widest wheels. *In any case you'd do best to apply light pressure
and repeat the process like every two days rather than attempt to roll
it smooth all in one go. *With sod lawns you would do well to roll
twice every year (spring and fall). *I always suggest a seeded lawn,
seeded lawns are far healthier and more enduring, sod never actually
roots into the ground... sod is more like a hair piece than you may
think.

I'll give that a try and I'll try the recommendations from some of the
other responses as well.

Thanks to everyone,
Dave