Old 22-09-2009, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Ginger flower

On 2009-09-22 17:47:34 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
said:

I have had a "edible" ginger plant growing for a few months and it has
grown huge. The plant has four stems about three feet high. I noticed
today that there are some large flower buds about to open. Do I need
to do anything special to make sure that the ginger flowers
successfully?

Steve

Water it well - ours get a *weak* feed through a diluter every day just
now - and let it drain well - really let it drain well. But
otherwise, don't 'hover' over it. ;-) 'Helicopter' mums and dads are
bad for plants, as well as children!
Ours are beginning to flower now and the scent is paradisical. Do you
happen to know which you have? David Poole has lots of info on which
are likely to survive outdoors in UK. In fact, if David reads this, I
hope he feels a FAQ coming on. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com