Old 23-09-2009, 12:58 AM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john royce View Post
We have a hycinth bulb suspended in a glass jar filled with water on a south
facing window sill.

After a week or so the water develops a green algae on the bottom of the jar
and a pale greenish tinge to the water colour.

Would this algae contain nutrients *useful* for the descending bulb roots,
or are we better tipping away the water and replacing with fresh water every
few days. Thanks.
Usually the bulb is put into the glass, the water filled up to just below the base of the bulb, and the glass is placed in a dark cool cupboard until the shoot is two inches or so high. By that time there should be good root growth and the plant is brought into daylight, but out of the sun.

I would remove the glass from the sunny site and move it somewhere darker. Replace the water.