Old 23-09-2009, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Clematis

On 2009-09-21 15:04:05 +0100, "Kathy" said:

Recently, on another, non-gardening, newsgroup, I mentioned that I was
going
to plant a clematis. Another poster commented that they are poisonous.
I've never heard this before, are they right?

There are more poisonous than non-toxic plants in every garden.
Daffodil
bulbs are poisonous, rhubarb leaves are poisonous, all parts of laburnum
are poisonous. Euphorbia sap can produce a major skin irritant for some
people as can daffodil flower stem sap and so on. It might be worth
looking at the RHS web site but I don't think there has been a fatality
through anyone chomping on garden plants, for years. I have never,
ever,
heard of anyone suffering from a reaction to Clematis.

Thanks for all the replies. The comment may have come about because I
said
I am going to plant one to honour my cat, Millie, who I have just buried.
She was poisoned.

Poor you and poor cat - that's horrible. Would it be suitable to plant
Nepeta - catnip? Cats love that and go quite silly rolling about in it.
It's a really lovely plant in itself, IMO and pretty easy to grow in a
sunny place.

Had one of those - she hated it! I thought clematis because the spot is
ideal, cold roots, full sun at the top of the fence.

A cat that didn't like catnip - amazing! The Clematis idea sounds perfect.
--
Sacha