Old 23-09-2009, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Replacing water for Hycinth bulb vase

"john royce" wrote in message
We have a hycinth bulb suspended in a glass jar filled with water on a
south facing window sill.

After a week or so the water develops a green algae on the bottom of the
jar and a pale greenish tinge to the water colour.

Would this algae contain nutrients *useful* for the descending bulb roots,
or are we better tipping away the water and replacing with fresh water
every few days. Thanks.

Your hyacinth bulb needs no extra nutrients just now; the bulb itself is the
food store. Provided you bought a full-size (ready to flower) bulb, there
should be enough food to generate the flower and all growth needed. Only
after flowering may you need to feed the bulb, but I think many people
simply discard them.

I have never tried this particular technique, but a friend of mine did. Her
biggest problem was mould developing on the bulb. I doubt that the algal
growth you are seeing is in any way harmful. I would leave it, but change
the water if it offends you.

Spider