Old 23-09-2009, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default to compost or not?

"Sheila" wrote in message
om...
I have found a few packets of sweets, e.g. Everton mints, werthers
originals, etc, all well out of date. I don't fancy or like them even, so
are they suitable for the heap?

I certainly would, Sheila. As others have said, they do encourage ants.
The only trouble now is, ants are coming to the send of their season.
Nevertheless, I would still do it. If I have a slowish heap, I add ants to
get things moving. I even transferred ants between my friend's two heaps
the other week because one was slow and the other infested with ants. They
do a good job. The only time I would reconsider is when the heap is very
close to the house :~(.

Spider