Old 23-09-2009, 04:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Nanzi Nanzi is offline

Default Rose feed

On Sep 23, 7:02*am, wrote:
On Sep 22, 12:19*pm, Nanzi wrote:

On Sep 22, 9:55*am, "Alistair Macdonald"

wrote:
From a bed of around 100 hybrid rose bushes, this year again I have lost
about ten plants, this after a rather poor flowering season. The bed is well
covered with forest bark but which I feel is not allowing any feed to
penetrate satisfactorily. I want first of all to provide a better feed than
Growmore, and also to plant new rose bushes to replace those lost. *What
fertiliser(s) should I use for the existing bushes and what, if different,
for the new ones? I have been recommended bone meal and sulphate of potash
with a handful of Epsom salts to each, both old and new bushes. I would also
appreciate any advice on applications.

The year I dug 3 holes beside each rose plant and burried banana skin
in them, my roses went crazy. I need to do it again, that was 3 years
ago and they haven't done as well the last 2. *I just use
commercial rose food other than that, and spray for the stinkin
Japanese Beetles when they attack everything!!
Try the banana peels, I don't know why, but they really work.
Nan in DE

I used to grow roses--before I moved several times. *Now that I am
settled for a while I am going to grow them once again. *I planted my
first one just this year, next year I will add many more. *Japanese
Beetles are horrible and I spray for them also. *I am going to try the
banana peel next year--I never would have though about that. *How did
you come up with that idea?

Wasn't my idea, was told by a friend to do it, and her roses were
beautiful. I think it's been around a long time. Wish I could claim
it!! Nan