Old 23-09-2009, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
David Johansen David Johansen is offline

Default Leveling ground under grass?

On Sep 22, 6:38*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
David Johansen wrote:
This summer we laid sod in our backyard and we prepped/flattened the
sod underneath, but we were in a rush to try and finish some things up
before it started raining and I guess we walked on it too much before
it all settled because now the ground is fairly uneven and not as
flat/ level as I would like.

Is there a way to level the ground under the grass now that it's
established?

Thanks,
Dave

I assume you mean you want to smooth the surface making it even, *not make
it level. *Leveling (ie making horizontal) is hardly practical after you
have laid sod.

You could top dress it. *Using a friable loam, rake and drag it over the
grass, cover thinly overall with almost none on the high spots but *filling
up the hollows and cracks. A heavy log of wood pulled by a loop of rope will
give you a smooth surface and in time muscles too! * The grass will grow
through the dressing and form a smooth mat. *This is best done during the
growing season otherwise you can get erosion down the hollows before the
grass grows.

David

You're right and I probably did use the wrong term. I am interested in
making the ground "even" (no hills or valleys), and hopefully with all
of the tips I've gotten so far that will work.

Thanks,
Dave