Old 24-09-2009, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] despen@verizon.net is offline

Default Holes in the yard

"JC" writes:

wrote in message
enigma writes:

T2B wrote in
.
com:

On Sep 23, 5:28 pm, Frank
wrote:
Karen wrote:
oh, oh. Am getting golfball sized holes in the yard. Mostly
the grass, and some in the potted plants. It doesn't look
like tunnels, as far as I can tell. There are more and more
everyday. What is it? Voles, gophers, or something and what
are they looking for and what should I do?

eek!

Could also be squirrels or skunks.

cicadas?

golf ball size cicadas? are we going for a horror movie? (i have
annual & 17 year cicadas. neither makes a hole bigger than half an
inch)

If they don't look like tunnels, I'd say something is foraging for
insects. Something like racoons.

Don't know where you're located but down here in south Texas, the
first thought would be Armadillos.

I agree, I should have mentioned that geographic region is important.

I'm in central NJ and I had a bunch of holes in my lawn this year but
slightly smaller than a golf ball. None of them went more than 4
inches deep. This is periodic Cicada land and my guess is that the
holes were made by racoons looking for cicadas.

So, something like racoons or armadilos.