Old 24-09-2009, 06:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Leveling ground under grass?

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:22:26 -0700 (PDT), David Johansen
wrote:

This summer we laid sod in our backyard and we prepped/flattened the
sod underneath, but we were in a rush to try and finish some things up
before it started raining and I guess we walked on it too much before
it all settled because now the ground is fairly uneven and not as flat/
level as I would like.

Is there a way to level the ground under the grass now that it's
established?

Thanks,
Dave

Sure. I have two methods for filling in a caved-in area.

1. Sift 1/2" of topsoil over the area and allow that to settle in,
perhaps a month or two. Repeat until the area is level.

2. Using a flat bladed shovel cut an "H" into the sod. Carefully cut
underneath each flap, fold back the two flaps, add topsoil, and press
the flaps back into place. Water. Water the area again the next day.
This method works well for smaller areas.

Stay off the grass when it is wet.